Wikimania support contractor
About Wikimedia UK[edit | edit source]
Wikimedia UK is the UK charity that promotes and supports Wikipedia, its sister projects, and other open educational resources in the UK. "Open" refers to information which is available for copying, reuse and modification, including for commercial uses, without cost or restriction other than attribution. Following the principles of Wikipedia, we are a volunteer-led organisation, and volunteers have a central role in all our activities.
We were established in 2008 and are one of around forty similar associations in countries around the world, recognised by the Wikimedia Foundation but operationally and legally independent. We work with individuals, museums, universities, businesses and media companies to make freely licensed content available and to help other people re-use open content. We seek to have a close relationship with other open content organizations in the UK, and with the global community of Wikimedia readers and editors.
Our annual income is around £750,000 and we have approaching 300 members. There are approximately 15,000 people in the UK who regularly contribute to Wikimedia projects. With ambitious plans for growth and an active Board of Trustees, we are entering an exciting new phase in our development. It is a particularly exciting year for us as the UK will be playing host to the annual Wikimania conference in August at the Barbican in London.
As a result of this we are looking for two people in the run up to Wikimania 2014. Their roles will be to support the delivery of the Wikimedia UK programme for Wikimania 2014, in particular working with our community and partners to deliver a programme that will have a lasting impact on the work of the chapter. We would particularly welcome applicants with an understanding of, and experience of our mission.
Applications are welcome. The closing date is 5pm BST on 23rd April 2014. Applications cannot be accepted after that date.
About Wikimania 2014[edit | edit source]
Wikimania is an annual international conference for users of the Wikimedia Foundation's wiki projects (such as Wikipedia and its sister projects). Topics of presentations and discussions include Wikimedia Foundation projects, other wikis, open-source software, free knowledge and free content, and social and technical aspects related to these topics. Wikimania 2014 will be the tenth Wikimania conference and will be held from 8–10 August 2014 at the Barbican Centre.
Job Description[edit | edit source]
|Job Title:||Wikimania 2014 support contractor|
|Hours:||Full time (35 hours per week)|
|Location:||The office of Wikimedia UK near Old Street in London.|
|Timescale:||For 15 weeks; starting in April 2014. This will be for a fixed term.|
|Remuneration:||London Living Wage for 35 hours per week (£8.80 p/h). The role will include evenings and some weekend work, with time off in lieu. Applicants must be available for the period 1st to 15th of August.|
Objective[edit | edit source]
The objective is to support the organisation and delivery of Wikimania 2014.
To do this, the support contractor will need to:
- Work closely with the Wikimedia UK staff and volunteer community, the event team, and Wikimedia Foundation, .
- Work to develop our active volunteer base by liaising with outreach ambassadors and supporting their effective work.
- Organise meetings, including taking minutes and reminding attendees of outstanding actions.
- Create accurate data entry to record activities and volunteer involvement.
- Produce written reports to keep the event team and Wikimedia UK board informed of progress.
Likely specific work areas[edit | edit source]
The exact work programme will depend on the skills of the two people employed and the programme being developed by staff but will include:
- Working closely with the Wikimedia UK community
- Recruiting and supporting volunteers
- Working closely with partner organisations
- Supporting our communications work with the media
- Ensuring that the Wikimedia UK presence at Wikimania 2014 is well organised and delivered.
- Supporting the work of the GLAM and Education Organisers in organising their input to Wikimania 2014.
- Organising and delivering a range of events at and around Wikimania 2014.
Person specification[edit | edit source]
- You will be an enthusiastic and highly competent individual able to support Wikimedia UK and its community by acting as a public facing point of contact.
- You will have excellent communication skills, including a high degree of literacy and a professional phone manner.
- You will be able to work unsupervised and show initiative in helping progress a diverse range of outcomes between different groups.
- You can show tact and confidence in arranging meetings and providing support to our community and partner organisation.
- You will be a believer in open access to information and the mission of the Wikimedia movement.
- You may have contributed already to Wikipedia and its sister sites as an editor.
- You will believe in equal access for all to information and knowledge.
- We are looking for someone with education up to A level or equivalent.
- You must be eligible to work in the UK.
Application process[edit | edit source]
How to apply: Please download the application form on the right and send a completed copy to: jon.davieswikimedia.org.uk with 'Wikimania support contractor' in the subject line.
Deadline: 23rd April 2014 at 5pm BST.
Please ensure you give details of why you feel you would be the best candidate for this post with reference to the key tasks and your relevant experience, using examples. Please also explain your understanding of and commitment to the Wikimedia ethos with personal examples to demonstrate this. We will need two referees whom we can approach.
Background information[edit | edit source]
- Equal Opportunities: Wikimedia UK has a commitment to achieving equality of opportunity in both services to our members and clients, and in the employment of people, and expects all employees and volunteers to understand and promote its policies in their own work. Our office is fully accessible, and all reasonable adjustments will be made to ensure equality of opportunity for applicants, employees and volunteers.
- Fire, Health and Safety: Wikimedia UK is committed to a healthy and safe working environment and expects all its employees to consider and integrate health and safety in all work activities.
- Data Protection: Wikimedia UK holds sensitive data on its members, volunteers, donors and those using its services. All employees are required to maintain an awareness of data protection responsibilities and to execute all relevant duties with tact, discretion and due respect to confidentiality of clients, members and staff.