Activities/Workplace Learning Lunches
Provide speakers for a series of "learning lunches" at workplaces such as the BBC.
Outline[edit | edit source]
Presenters from Wikimedia UK go into businesses or organisations and encourage them to contribute to Wikimedia projects.
Benefits[edit | edit source]
Why is this a good thing to do?
For Wikimedia UK[edit | edit source]
This recruits new contributors, particularly contributors who are in the position to provide unique content. It builds a relationship with the businesses/organisations themselves, which may be useful or future collaborations.
For businesses[edit | edit source]
- Businesses learn how to reuse Wikimedia content without breaching copyrights, and get to know the range of material that's available
- Businesses can manage the risks involved with their own Wikipedia profiles so they can correct errors and avoid the negative publicity arising from whitewashing
- Employees are given, free of cost, access to a new skillset and knowledge base that can help them with their work.
Requirements[edit | edit source]
- Presentation material, possibly from http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Presentations/en
- At least one organisation interested in our presentation, possibly including the BBC
- Funding for the presenters to travel to the presentation
Volunteering[edit | edit source]
- Two or three presenters from the list of Speakers
- Steve Virgin - leading initiative
- Andrew Turvey - presenting
- Mike Peel - presenting
If you're interested in helping out with this proposal, please sign below with *~~~
- Colds7ream (only viable outside term time though)
- -- PhantomSteve (Contact Me, My Contribs) - not for presenting, but I'd possibly be able to help create a presentation!
Timetable[edit | edit source]
|End Sep||Draft advertising leaflet|
|Mid Oct||Approve advertising leaflet and start recruiting|
|End Oct||Approve presentation material|
|End Nov||hold first session|
|End Mar||Hold at least 2 more sessions|
Budget[edit | edit source]
Only expense is travel; the organisations receiving the service will be asked to pay for the costs of travel. Therefore no net cost to the chapter
Discussion[edit | edit source]
Possible content ideas[edit | edit source]
- An essential part of this presentation would be the mention of our Conflict of Interest policy and the Neutral Point of View. If a contributor from an organisation can keep the second, the first isn't a problem - but that can be hard to do. It might also be worth suggesting that if they do make a contribution, they should declare their interest in the subject on the article's talk page. -- PhantomSteve (Contact Me, My Contribs) 11:26, 22 August 2009 (UTC)
- Mention of Requested articles - if the contributor feels that they cannot use the NPOV, they can request the article to be written by someone else with no vested interest, and they can provide the information which can be put into the article. -- PhantomSteve (Contact Me, My Contribs) 11:26, 22 August 2009 (UTC)
- Definitely agree - think COI editing will be a top request as a discussion topic! AndrewRT 23:07, 23 August 2009 (UTC)