2014 Activity Plan/Communications
- Lead member of staff
- Indicative budget amount
£10,000, to include the Annual Review (£3,000 as an indication)
- Description and overall rationale
We will seek to represent the Wikimedia movement to the fullest extent within the UK, and the wider movement, particularly in terms of public affairs and advocacy. This budget allows for us to attend conferences and events related to open knowledge and open access. It also allows us to influence opinion formers and policy makers in appropriate fields. It will support ongoing work to build and develop a coalition of fellow traveller organisations to allow for greater collaboration and add volume to our collective voice. To this end it will also support the hosting of a small event to bring together individuals and organisations to explore the potential of future collaboration and the exertion of collective influence. It also allows for the production of appropriate communications materials such as our annual review booklet, guide to Wikimedia Commons and guide to getting started with Wikipedia.
- Timelines - i.e. what happens quarter by quarter
- working on creating the Annual Review
- working on creating the GLAM booklet (via other staff members and volunteers)
- publishing and circulating of the Annual Review
- publishing and circulating the GLAM booklet (ready for Wikimania 2014)
Majority of other work ongoing.
- Success criteria and Metrics - overall and quarter by quarter breakdown if relevant
This is an operational area of our work, which aim is to support other core services of the chapter - crucially 1) working towards making WMUK perceived as the go-to organisation by UK GLAM, educational, and other organisations who need support or advice for the development of Open Knowledge and 2) increasing awareness of the benefits of Open Knowledge.
Operationally, we want to make sure that the following things take place:
- Maintain good relationships with the main national newspapers, relevant third sector bodies and appropriate government agencies. We will use these relationships to influence policy and public opinion (record press contacts)
- Secure at least five positive news features about Wikimedia UK or Wikipedia, generated by the work of the chapter (on wiki)
Printed media and design:
- Produce a printed guide to becoming an open organisation to share with GLAMs and other educational and cultural institutions (on wiki)
- Design, distribute and maintain stocks of at least eight different outreach booklets and at least eight types of branded merchandise (merch spreadsheet on gdoc)
- Annual review - creation with significant input and direction from the volunteer community, document printed in time for Wikimedia UK’s annual conference; distribute at least 1,000 printed copies (merch spreadsheet on gdoc)
- Negative media or blog severely damages reputation.
- Hostile or apathetic media - Media receptivity or support insufficient to achieve mission/strategy
- Similar with External opinion formers or External organisations