2014 Activity Plan/Board costs
- Lead member of staff
- Indicative budget amount
- Description and overall rationale
This funding is allocated to support the board meetings, board training and exceptionally in the July 2014 the external review recommended by the Hudson Report. This allowance of up to £10,000 accounts for the increase in the budget although the change in size from 7 to 11 trustees and the institution of our Governance Committee and Audit and Risk Committee will have an impact.
Our aim is to ensure that our trustees are supported and able to carry out their duties with sufficient support.
- Timelines - i.e. what happens quarter by quarter
- Overall, this is an ongoing activity area where in each quarter we will check that the operational guidelines (listed below) are being followed.
- By the end of Q2 - achieve the Hudson Report recommendations
- Board meetings throughout the year, as noted here.
- Success criteria and Metrics - overall and quarter by quarter breakdown if relevant
We have effective and high quality governance and resource management processes, and are recognised for such within the Wikimedia movement and the UK charity sector:
- WMUK achieves PQASSO level 2 (narration)
- All targets in the in the Hudson and Chapman governance review that we agree with have been completed and independently reviewed by July 2014. We have 50 measures/targets in the Hudson Report by which to measure ourselves; a table documenting our progress against these is maintained on the UK wiki. We follow the targets from the nine month governance review carried out in 2013 by consultant Rosie Chapman
- 18 month review is commissioned and delivered on timetable
We have a high level of openness and transparency, and are recognised for such within the Wikimedia movement and the UK charity sector:
- Transparency compliance as determined by Govcom against published transparency commitments is high
- Transparency score is measured by annual survey
We have high quality systems to measure our impact as an organisation:
- All activities recorded and integrated (narration)
WMUK volunteers are highly diverse:
- UK board is diverse (narration)
Operationally, we want to make sure that the following things take place:
- Offer support to the board for its development (training of the board recorded)
- Lack of clear strategy, or the wrong strategy, or the failure to identify opportunities and take advantage (to mitigate, Quarterly reports from CEO on objectives, Consult community on creating five year plan)
- Governance and leadership is ineffective (Respond to Compass review, Communicate positives, Manage meetings well, Review Board performance)
- Board capacity is insufficient for short term governance challenges (to mitigate delegate effectively to the CEO and staff, amend Board size, manage Board agenda and meetings)