Wikimedia in Scotland/Train the Trainer 2019
Call for expressions of interest[edit | edit source]
Scottish Volunteer Wikimedia Trainers - Train the Trainer
Following the growth of our work in Scotland, Wikimedia UK is keen to increase our capacity to respond to requests for trainers for editathons and other events across Scotland. We are also keen to increase our reach, particularly outside the Central Belt.
We are therefore seeking expressions of interest from anyone who would like to become an accredited Volunteer Wikimedia Trainer for Scotland. We are looking for people with a certain amount of flexibility, who are willing to travel, and who would be interested in proactively seeking out event opportunities as well as responding to third party requests.
Please note that places will be offered on the basis of suitability, availability, and (potentially) geographic location. Please also note that although previous Wikimedia project experience is highly desirable, we would also be willing to assist in a self-directed programme of study for the right candidate.
What we would expect from you[edit | edit source]
- Attendance at a 3 day training course (location tbc) in November (currently pencilled for 22-24 November)
- To lead training for a minimum of 2-3 events per year. This would be a mixture of third party events which our Scotland Programme Coordinator would field to you, and those you would organise yourself.
- To be responsive to communication from Wikimedia UK staff and Event Organisers, including in advance of the event, and to complete basic reporting, including returning sign up sheets, afterwards.
- To represent Wikimedia UK well during the time in which you are volunteering.
What you can expect from us[edit | edit source]
- Full training and support to become a lead trainer for editathons and similar events
- Access to materials for participants
- Ongoing support from the Scotland Programme Coordinator
- Job references upon request (paper / email / LinkedIn as required)
- Reasonable expenses for travel, accommodation etc paid to attend the events at which you are training.
Course content[edit | edit source]
Course content will include learning about adult learning, session design for different groups, presentation & delivery, and developing and evaluating your training. The course will focus on the more technical aspects of how to be a trainer, rather than Wikimedia content. There will also be an opportunity to gain feedback on your work. The course itself is free, and reasonable expenses incurred in order to attend will be covered.
How to apply[edit | edit source]
If you would like to put yourself forward for this training, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a short statement outlining why you’d like to volunteer, and your suitability for this position. Please include your previous Wikimedia experience (including username if appropriate), as well as any previous training, teaching, public speaking or other relevant experience. The call closes on 1st November.