Geological Society workshop
Where: The Council Room, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London W1J 0BG
When: Friday 30 March 2012, 10am-4pm
What: A one-day, free, hands-on training event for geoscientists in improving Wikipedia, arranged jointly between Wikimedia UK and The Geological Society. Attendees were asked to bring their own laptops and to register a user account on Wikipedia in advance.
Trainers[edit | edit source]
Attendees[edit | edit source]
- User:Len Pollock
- User:Dr R C Toon
Outline of programme[edit | edit source]
- Tune in to wifi (All)
- Wikipedia - a Very Brief Guide (Charles)
- Personal Introductions (All)
- Main Issues (discussion with Charles)
- Sandboxing an Article (tutorial)
- Hands-On Editing (All with tutors)
- Afternoon session: Hands-On Editing (continuing). Second discussion session (with Gordon and Charles); alongside continuing editing with tutor support.
- All good things have to come to an end.
Some reflection after the event here.
Coverage[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia: Reflections on Use and Acceptance in Academic Environments by Prof Brian Whalley, University of Sheffield. Ariadne, 28 July 2012
- Something Wiki this way comes... Geoscientist Online (Geological Society publication), 3 May 2012